Thursday, September 15, 2011

What's Your Comfort Food?

I have been sick lately, some baby germ my girl brought back from daycare. She was fine within 3 days, but she gave it to us. You know, she is at the age that's so cute and cuddly, always climbs up you lap and kisses you and coughes right in your face. Oh yeah, sometimes, even licks your nose! Very sweet, but super germy! Stubborn got it first, but he took some pills and got over it quite quick. I don't like drugs, so I normally try to avoid them as much as I could. Plus my immune system seems stronger than his, so normally I don't get sick at all. Well, guess I was not so lucky this time. I have been sick for a week now, stuffy and runny nose, and crazy coughing. I am a big girl, I can handle coughing during the day, but when it bothers me too much at night, makes me sit up and cough violently night after night, I gave in. Some Robitussin later, I finally got a good night sleep. Funny how a good night sleep can make you feel so good!

OK, back to toady's topic. When I am sick, I normally lose my appetite. And somehow even with my stuffed nose, I could still smell a nice hot bowel of soup! My all time favorite comfort food is New England style clam chowder! A nice bowel of it, with some warm fresh bread! I can feel the energy pumping back into my body. Well, I am kind of picky when it comes to taste. My hospital cafe does have clam chowder everyday, but somehow it just doesn't taste right. I love the one from Souper Salad! There is a Souper Salad in a nearby building, so that's where I have to go when I crave for it.

If for some reason I cannot go, I will settle for a nice bowel of chicken noodle soup in our cafe, it's a bit salty, but pretty good in general. When I was reading one of my favorite blogs, The Cottage Home yesterday, I saw this mouth watering picture above. I just have to read it, and write down her recipe, Tortellini Chicken Soup. Why haven't I try cooking these soup at home when I am sick? I am pretty good at cooking. Guess it has something to do with I only cook Chinese food! I have been living in this country for almost 12 years, yet I never learned to cook American style, never even tried. Don't laugh, I don't even know how to make macaroni and cheese! Maybe because we Chinese people don't eat cheese?! The only time I will have some cheese is in cheeseburger or on a pizza. With little caterpillar growing up quickly, I will have to learn to cook some typical American kids meals. Lots of learning ahead of me. But for now, I would love to try making some chicken noodle soup or clam chowder first. Comfort first, right?

PS, found a recipe for New England style Clam Chowder on allrecipes.com. Looks simpler than I thought. It will be really nice to curl up in the sofa with a soft blanket and a big bowel of my favorite soup. Oh, how I wish we have a fireplace!

What's your favorite comfort food? Is it soup, or chocolate?

2 comments:

Aries said...

My comfort food is always chocolate, hi just blog hopping, enjoy reading your site. Hope you get well soon

TranquilityKnots said...

Thanks, Aries. I am already feeling much better. Thanks for stopping by.