Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Life Without Internet

My network connection somehow got disconnected at work last night. So, this morning when I came to work, I cannot check email. I thought my firefox crashed, which happened before, so of course - restart! Then I cannot log back into the network. Called help desk, and was told they will put me on high priority list. Then I waited for 3 hours! During that time, I felt somewhat helpless. I can work on my computer locally for short time, but I really need to connect to the server to test and I have a report to finish, which need lots of database queries. I think the worst part was not being able to check email. So I cannot help but wonder, what our life was like before the Internet? We were quite happy, less information available, but less stress too. Nowadays, it feels like our life depends on it, we work online, get education online, manage our finance online, even date online. But the most important part, I think, is the instant connection with our family and friends. I felt miserable just 3 short hours without Internet. Cannot imagine how I will handle life if it's permanently gone.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You might be interested in an article titled "Death by Information Overload" by Paul Hemp. It discusses you thoughts exactly--how do we handle all this information.

By the way, I just love your blog. I love the creative items you discuss.

TranquilityKnots said...

Thanks, Erin. I will check it out. It just frightens me how much we depends on computers and machines.

Oh, I love searching for creative stuffs ONLINE (again, computer and internet). They inspire me all the time.

Kylee Baumle said...

Oh you don't want to know what it's like around here when I can't get online. I live half of my life on here, it seems! It is kind of scary how it has come to be that way. It was like the frog in the pot - a little at a time.

I wanted to tell you thanks for visiting Our Little Acre and I hope you'll come back now and then! :-)